1/1 Photo of Leek & Potato Vichyssoise (Soup)
Based upon Joy of Cooking's recipe with a few minor adaptations. This recipe is gluten-free. It can be made dairy free by substituting margarine for the butter and either omitting the cream or substituting almond/cashew cream.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -4 medium leeks, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 4 medium potatoes, thinly sliced
- 5 cups chicken stock or 5 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons instant chicken bouillon granules (optional)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper (or 1/8 tsp white pepper, preferable)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1Prepare leeks by trimming off the tough, dark green leaves and the bottom of the root. Then cut length-wise and wash in between each leaf, as dirt deposits can gather deep inside the leek. Then, thinly slice.
- 2Melt butter in a soup pot over low-medium heat.
- 3Add sliced leeks, stirring occasionally. Cook until leeks are tender, but not browned. This may take 15-20 minutes.
- 4Add sliced potatoes and chicken or vegetable stock. If using vegetable stock, you may add a little powdered chicken stock mix to enhance the flavor. Stir.
- 5Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and cook until potatoes are tender.
- 6Once potatoes are tender, you can puree the mixture using a hand blender in the same pot or by doing batches in a blender. If you want a very fine texture, put the mixture through a sieve after pureeing.
- 7Add cream, salt (optional), pepper, basil, and paprika. You can thicken the mixture by adding a tablespoon or two of flour or corn starch. You can thin the mixture by adding more water or stock. This depends upon your preferred texture and consistency.
- 8Reheat gently to serve warm or hot. Or you can serve very cold with cut chives as garnish. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Leek & Potato Vichyssoise (Soup)
Serving Size: 1 (446 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 671.6
- Calories from Fat 389
- Total Fat 43.3 g
- Saturated Fat 25.7 g
- Cholesterol 136.3 mg
- Sodium 630.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 9.1 g
- Protein 14.3 g