Recipe by Bergy
This recipe travels well! Bake it first reheat in a moderate oven. It can be stored in the fridge for up to two days. I like to put "Baker's helper " sheet (layered aluminum sheet to prevent burning) under the pie plate. When you put in the layers of potatoes take your time and do it artistically so the top layer looks attractive with the swirl of potatoes. This is very attractive and I love the combination of Leeks with the two types of potatoes
Top Review by Foodgal
So good as is, that I did not change the recipe when I made it for the second time. I use the new Renolds Release foil to line the pie pan. Press the layers down a bit as you go. Use a mandolin on medium for the slice thickness. Be sure to cover while baking.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large leeks, green trimmed off, washed well, sliced 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- salt & pepper
- 1 lb sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/8 inch slices
- 1 lb potato, peeled and cut into 1/8 inch slices
Directions See How It's Made
- Have oven rack on lowest level, preheat to 450°F.
- Lightly oil a 9" deep pie plate, line it on the bottom with parchment and lightly oil the parchment.
- Heat the tbsp of oil in a skillet and saute the leeks and thyme for approx 5 minutes, watch they don't scorch, if necessary add a tbsp or two of water, remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange half of the sweet potatoes in the pie plate, have them slightly overlapping going around the plate ending up in the center of the pie plate--one layer but overlapped.
- Season with salt and pepper. Spread 1/3 of the leek mixture over the sweet potatoes.
- Layer half of the potatoes in the same manner as the sweet potatoes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover with 1/3 leeks repeat with another final layer of potatoes. Cover with remaining leeks. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add final layer of sweet potatoes.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake for 45 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- To serve run a knife around the edge to loosen, invert onto a plate, remove parchment paper, slice in wedges and serve.