Recipe by irishfoodgeek
This is a classic soup across Europe but strongly associated with Ireland. I'm proud to say that this is my own recipe having experimented and slaved using various methods. This recipe is the simplest and tastiest. It only has 3 main ingredients aside from olive oil and seasoning/ Its super healthy, super cheap and super tasty. What more can you want? If the soup is too thick for you at the end, just add more water and check the seasoning again.
- 1 large leek, washed and finely diced
- 1 large potato, peeled and finely diced
- 400 ml boiling water
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a saucepan on a low heat. Once oil is heated, add in the leeks, season and stir through, coating in the oil. Cover and sweat for approximately ten minutes until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Next add the potatoes and sweat for another five to six minutes.
- Add the water, bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer for six to eight minutes until potatoes are soft enough for a knife to easily pierce them.
- Ladle the leek and potato into a blender then pour in the liquid. You should only half fill the blender so you may need to blend in two or three batches. If you don’t have a jug blender or food processor, you can use a hand blender to blend the soup in the saucepan.
- Blend until smooth, season to taste and serve piping hot with some buttered soda bread.