Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Aromatic caraway seeds, which add a nutty licorice flavor, may be omitted from the recipe, if you like. The spicy sour cream sauce cools and adds heat at the same time. CookingLight Magazine, December 2001 & 2007 edition.
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups shredded peeled baking potatoes (about 2 pounds)
- 2 cups chopped leeks (thoroughly washed)
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- cooking spray
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper or 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 ounces carton reduced-fat sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To prepare latkes, lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 7 ingredients (flour through egg white) in a large bowl; stir well.
- Heat 1 teaspoon vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Spoon 1/4 cup batter for each of 4 pancakes into pan; cook for 3 minutes on each side or until browned.
- Repeat procedure with remaining oil and batter.
- Place pancakes on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350°F for 12 minutes or until crisp.
- To prepare sauce, combine cumin and remaining ingredients, and stir well.
- Serve sauce next to or over latkes.