Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Jewish Holiday Kitchen by Joan Nathan--great cook book.
- 2 lbs leeks
- 2 large potatoes
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 lb grated romano cheese, bread crumbs if serving meat 1/2 c maybe
- salt and pepper
- oil (for frying)
- Peel and boil potatoes.
- Wash the leeks carefully.
- Dice the white base and part of green base. Parboil in salted water for 5 minutes; drain.
- Mash the potatoes.
- Add the leeks; blend in well.
- Add eggs, salt and pepper.
- Add cheese.
- Heat oil. When sizzling, drop leeks by tablespoonful.
- Fry till golden on each side; drain.
it was good but i made a few modifications.i used a sweet potato and cheddar cheese instead, and I broiled it in the oven. my family loved it.
These were wondeful...crispy on the outside and fluffy in the middle. My family really enjoyed these and it was a great introduction to leeks ofr my daughters. Reveiwed for ZWT3
A friend has teased me for some time about my fondness for using leeks freq as an ingredient, but I doubt it will chg while there are great recipes like this 1. I also added garlic, but it's the subtle flavour of the leek that shines here. We love leeks, we love these patties & they will visit our table often. Thx for posting.