Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
The leek is one of the symbols of Wales. This is a simple pie adapted from a recipe by Bobby Freeman in "A Book of Welsh Country Puddings and Pies" Posted for ZWT 8 Great Britain
- 3 leeks, finely chopped (white and light green parts only)
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 pastry for double-crust pie
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage, finely chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Line the bottom of a pie dish with half of the pastry.
- Cover the piecrust with the finely chopped leeks and sprinkle with the sage. Season with salt and pepper.
- Lay the strips of bacon across the leeks and add the beaten egg.
- Cover with the rest of the pastry and cut a few slits in the top.
- Bake in a preheated 400 F oven for 30-40 minutes.
- Serve hot.