Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Adapted from a recipe by Australian chef Huey (Iain Hewitson), who hosts a popular television cooking show twice daily on weekdays. Posted here for the 2005 Zaar World Tour.
- 6 phyllo pastry, frozen, defrosted
- silicon paper, to line the baking sheet
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 250 g freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 5 leeks, thoroughly washed, white part of, sliced into matchsticks
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 bunch chives, chopped
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Brush the pastry sheets with a little melted butter, one at a time. Then place one sheet on a lightly greased, baking sheet lined with silicon paper. Sprinkle evenly with Parmesan and place another sheet on top of the first sheet. Repeat this process with the remaining phyllo, leaving the top sheet plain, and cook in the oven for 10-12 minutes until golden brown.
- At the same time, melt the butter in a large non-stick pan and gently sauté the leeks and garlic until they softish, taking care not to allow them to brown.
- Add the wine and allow it to almost completely reduce; then add the chives, season the leek mixture to taste and mix well.
- When pastry is ready, remove it from the oven and gently press down the centre with a spatula, leaving a slightly thicker outer border. Spread the leek mixture evenly over the top of the pastry and sprinkle it with a little more parmesan.
- Serve with salad greens.