Recipe by kiwidutch
I had enough pastry over one day to make an extra pie or quiche. I had things in the fridge that needed using up and simply threw them all togther in an experiment... it came out so well that now I make it regularly. You could also throw in a small amount of broccoli, or cauliflower, but the flavour of just the original ingredient is still the one that we like the most. The amount of sprouts is a "guesstimate" since 1-2 handfuls is enough, depending on the size of the sprouts)
Top Review by Purple Becca
Who would have believed it! I started with this recipe filled with fear and trepidation! I have a garden full of leeks and sprouts and my hens think its spring wo I have lots of eggs - What did I have to lose? I made my pastry with 4 oz Wholemeal flour and 1 oz butter. enough for my small 8 in flan tin. I left out the onion, spring onion and cream and instead of the herbs I simply added a bay leaf to the veg mix while it was cooking. The Low fat cream cheese was an inspiration!!! What an excellent idea, I will be using it again and again to keep my calorie count down on quiches BRILLIANT!!! Thank you.
- 14.79 ml butter (or olive oil)
- 118.29 ml vegetable stock (or chicken stock)
- 2 leeks, washed and chopped (use both the green and the white parts)
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 30 Brussels sprouts (peeled and cut into quarters)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 spring onion (sliced)
- 14.79 ml herbes de provence
- 141.74 g Philadelphia Cream Cheese (Herbed)
- 236.59 ml cheese (grated)
- 118.29 ml cream (optional)
- 6 eggs (beaten)
- 30 cm unbaked pie shells
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the first 8 ingredients in a pan and saute gently until the onions and leeks begin to soften.
- Take off the heat and let cool.
- Cut your cream cheese into small blocks and stir well into the leek mixture.
- Add the grated cheese, cream (if using), eggs, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Scoop into an unbaked pie shell and cook for 40 minutes at 180 C (350 F).
- I got one extra (smaller pie) simply by adding another leek, onion more sprouts to my main mixture. I can't get pie crusts ready made here so used 4Susan's Basic pastry recipe #148258 which makes one larger pie and one smaller one (as shown in my additional photographs).