Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 35 mins
This is a little different than the stews I could find on Zaar. It is by Philomena Corradeno's Chopping Block with a few small changes by me. Serve with a green salad and some crusty bread to sop up the sauce. If you wish you may thicken the sauce by adding 2 tsp cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup cold water for the final 15 minutes of cooking. I like mine with out the thickening.
- 907.18 g lean lamb stew meat, cut in to 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 4 clove garlic, minced
- 2 large leeks, cleaned & chopped
- 4 large carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 709.77 ml celery, chopped
- 16 small new potatoes, cut in half
- 236.59 ml mushroom, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 4.92 ml dried thyme
- salt and pepper
- 946.36 ml broth (vegetable, Chicken or beef, you may use two cups red or white wine and 2 cups broth , total liquid 4)
- 236.59 ml grated parmesan cheese
- Add oil to a large pot and brown the lamb cubes, apprx 10 minutes add garlic do not let the garlic get too brown.
- Add all the veggies and continue to brown for another 5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 the broth, stirring to get all the little bits off the bottom of the pot and incorporated into the stew.
- Add spices and 1/2 the cheese.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add remaining broth, cover and simmer for 1 hour or until the meat and veggies are tender.
- Let the stew rest 15 minutes before serving.
- Pass the remaining cheese to sprinkle over each serving.
I used 6 cups of chicken broth. This recipe was wonderful. Bob and I both loved it. Bob went back for seconds. I will make this again.
It really brought out the flavor of the lamb! I used white wine and chicken broth. I think the parmesan cheese is really important to the flavor. I had a little less lamb than called for but used lots of mushrooms to add a little more to the meal. Yum!
While grocery shopping today I bought some leeks specifically so I could make this stew :-) I made it pretty much exactly as written except no potatoes as I'm not allowed those in my diet, and about 3 cups of mushrooms since my family and I love the things! And we didn't have any parmesan cheese so I just excluded that. I used 2 cups of vegetable broth and 2 cups of beef broth. It was absolutely delicious!!! I think I'll definitely be making this again :-) Thank you for a fantastic recipe.