Cook1 hr 35 mins
This is a little different than the stews I could find on Zaar. It is by Philomena Corradeno's Chopping Block with a few small changes by me. Serve with a green salad and some crusty bread to sop up the sauce. If you wish you may thicken the sauce by adding 2 tsp cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup cold water for the final 15 minutes of cooking. I like mine with out the thickening.
- 2 lbs lean lamb stew meat, cut in to 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large leeks, cleaned & chopped
- 4 large carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 cups celery, chopped
- 16 small new potatoes, cut in half
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups broth (vegetable, Chicken or beef, you may use two cups red or white wine and 2 cups broth , total liquid 4)
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Add oil to a large pot and brown the lamb cubes, apprx 10 minutes add garlic do not let the garlic get too brown.
- Add all the veggies and continue to brown for another 5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 the broth, stirring to get all the little bits off the bottom of the pot and incorporated into the stew.
- Add spices and 1/2 the cheese.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add remaining broth, cover and simmer for 1 hour or until the meat and veggies are tender.
- Let the stew rest 15 minutes before serving.
- Pass the remaining cheese to sprinkle over each serving.