From Vegetarian: The Best-Ever Recipe Collection. I have substituted myzithra and pecorino romano for the parmesan, depending on my menu.
- 1 cup leek
- 1 cup cremini mushroom
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 3⁄4 cups arborio rice
- 5 cups fresh vegetable stock or 5 cups fresh chicken stock
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 2⁄3 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, minced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- fresh ground black pepper
- lemon wedge
- fresh Italian parsley (to garnish)
- Wash the leeks well and slice. Wipe the mushrooms and slice.
- Heat the olive oil in a saute pan. Add the leeks and mushrooms, cooking over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic and cook another minute. Remove vegetables from pan and set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the butter to the pan and saute the onion over medium heat for approximately 5 minutes.
- Stir in the arborio rice and cook for 1 minute. Add one cupful of fresh stock to the pan and cook gently, stirring occasionally; until all liquid is absorbed.
- Continue stirring in one cupful of stock at a time, until each cupful is absorbed. This should take about 25 minutes. The risotto should by the end turn thick and creamy; the rice tender but not sticky.
- Just before serving, stir in the leeks and mushrooms, the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, lemon juice and zest, half of the cheese, and the fresh herbs.
- Adjust seasoning, adding salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top, garnish with herb sprigs and lemon wedges. Serve warm.