From Plenty by Yotam Ottolenghi
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 leeks (1 lb total trimmed weight)
- 5 shallots, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1 red chili pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tbsp self-raising flour
- 4 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1First make your sauce. Blitz all the sauce ingredients together in a food processor or blender until pale green. Set aside for later.
- 2Slice the leeks into 3/4 inch thick pieces, then rinse and drain in a colander. Pour half the olive oil in a medium pan and cook the shallots and leeks on a medium heat for 15 minutes, or until they have softened. Place the mixture in a large bowl, add the chilli, parsley, spices, sugar and salt, then leave to cool.
- 3Whisk the egg white to soft peaks in a medium bowl, then gently fold into the cooled leek mixture.
- 4In another bowl combine the flour, baking powder, egg, milk and butter to form a batter. Spoon in the vegetable mixture and gently stir to combine.
- 5Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a large frying pan on a medium flame. Once hot spoon in half the batter to form four large fritters. Fry for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until golden and crisp. Remove, drain on kitchen towels and keep warm. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- 6Serve the fritters warm with the sauce and a side of rocket (or your preferred salad leaves). Any leftover fritters will be delicious eaten cold the next day.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Leek Fritters
Serving Size: 1 (318 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 793.1
- Calories from Fat 615
- Total Fat 68.3 g
- Saturated Fat 19.3 g
- Cholesterol 101.4 mg
- Sodium 1259.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 9.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: