Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Plenty by Yotam Ottolenghi
Make and share this Leek Fritters recipe from Food.com.
- 3 leeks (1 lb total trimmed weight)
- 5 shallots, finely chopped
- 2⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 red chili pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup plus 1 tbsp self-raising flour
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- First make your sauce. Blitz all the sauce ingredients together in a food processor or blender until pale green. Set aside for later.
- Slice the leeks into 3/4 inch thick pieces, then rinse and drain in a colander. Pour half the olive oil in a medium pan and cook the shallots and leeks on a medium heat for 15 minutes, or until they have softened. Place the mixture in a large bowl, add the chilli, parsley, spices, sugar and salt, then leave to cool.
- Whisk the egg white to soft peaks in a medium bowl, then gently fold into the cooled leek mixture.
- In another bowl combine the flour, baking powder, egg, milk and butter to form a batter. Spoon in the vegetable mixture and gently stir to combine.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a large frying pan on a medium flame. Once hot spoon in half the batter to form four large fritters. Fry for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until golden and crisp. Remove, drain on kitchen towels and keep warm. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve the fritters warm with the sauce and a side of rocket (or your preferred salad leaves). Any leftover fritters will be delicious eaten cold the next day.