Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
These fritters go well with a good mayo mixed with mango chutney
- 2 leeks, split in half lengthways and well rinsed
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 package fine matzo meal
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- canola oil (for frying)
- In a large frying pan half filled with water, over high heat, boil leeks until just tender, 5-7 minutes.
- Drain under cold running water.
- On a chopping board, chop leeks finely.
- Squeeze in a clean tea towel to remove any excess liquid.
- Remove to a large bowl.
- Stir in the beaten eggs, matzo meal, salt and pepper to taste, thyme and cinnamon until blended.
- The batter should be soft enough to drop, add a little more matzo meal or water if necessary.
- In a large deep frying pan, heat enough oil to cover the fritters.
- Drop tablespoons of the mixture into the hot oil and cook until the underside is browned, 2 minutes.
- Turn and cook until the other side is browned, 1 minute longer.
- Drain and serve.
I enjoyed the spice combo so much, that I wanted to try this again this year. I used 1/4 quick cooking oats and 2 tablespoons matza meal for the dry ingredients. They came out really, really tasty this way.