Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
leeks are in season at the moment and are very good for you so I am making the most of the good prices in the shops. This is a very nice recipe and totally vegetarian if you eat eggs that is. I like to make mine into little flans as it's easier for serving and you can get 4 small ones or 1 large from this recipe. I use low fat cheese, cream and milk and it's fine.
- 200 g wholemeal flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 100 g butter or 100 g margarine
- 45 mils cold water
- 2 large leeks
- 25 g butter or 25 g margarine
- cayenne pepper
- grated nutmeg
- 3 eggs
- 75 mils milk
- 75 mils of soured cream
- 175 g of grated cheddar cheese
- Make your pastry roll it out to fit the tin or tins if making small ones.
- Preheat oven to200c or 400f.
- Slice the leeks and saute in the melted butter or margarine until soft but not brown. Season with cayenne pepper and nutmeg and allow to go cold.
- Whisk eggs, milk, soured cream and salt together.
- Sprinkle half the cheese on the bottom of the flan or flans,spread the leeks on top then sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top pour the egg custard mix on top and bake in oven for 30 minutes.
- Serve hot or cold.