Prep 50 mins
Cook 50 mins
From "The Choice is Cheddar", Good Food Magazine, October 1986. Prep times does not include pastry chilling.
- 236.59 ml all-purpose flour
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml cayenne pepper
- 236.59 ml cubed sharp cheddar cheese (about 4 oz.)
- 59.16 ml unsalted butter, cold, cut into 8 pieces
- 29.58 ml ice water (or as needed)
- 8 slice thick bacon, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch strips
- 4 medium leeks, rinsed well, dried, sliced 1/2-inch thick (white part only)
- 354.88 ml light cream or 354.88 ml half-and-half
- 3 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml fresh ground pepper
- 236.59 ml shredded mild cheddar cheese (about 4 oz.)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place first 5 ingredients in food processor fitted with steel blade; process until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. With machine running, slowly pour in 2 T. ice water; process, adding more ice water if needed, until dough gathers into mass. Remove dough from processor.
- Roll dough on lightly floured surface into 13-inch circle. Transfer to 10-inch tart pan with removable bottom; press dough lightly against side of pan. Trim overhang to 1/2 inch, fold down against pan, and pinch lightly to make sturdy edge 1/4-inch taller than pan. Prick bottom with fork at 1-inch intervals. Refrigerate 1 hour.
- Bake tart shell until surface feels dry, 16-17 minutes. Cool completely on wire rack before filling.
- Meanwhile, fry bacon in heavy medium skillet over medium-low heat just until crisp and lightly browned, about 6 ninutes. Remove with slotted spoon to paper towels to drain, then crumble.
- Pour off all but 1 T. of the bacon fat. Add leeks and saute over medium heat until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Let stand.
- Whisk cream, eggs, egg yolk, salt, and pepper in mixing bowl until thoroughly blended.
- Place cooled tart shell on baking sheet. Scatter bacon, leeks, and cheese evenly over shell. Place baking sheet on rack in oven. Carefully pour custard into shell.
- Bake just until custard is set in center, 25-30 minutes. Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Delicious. My leeks were a little on the large size, so only used two. I also added some nutmeg to the custard. :)
This was a yummy tart. I was also scared of making pastry, but this one is well worth it! The cheese and cayenne in the crust really add a nice flavor to this dish. A definite make again for the next family brunch. Made for ZWT6.
This was really divine! I have a confession to make, I have never, ever made home-made pastry dough of any kind. ::hanging head::: (hope I don't get kicked outta Zaar.) So, I did cheat and use store-bought. I also added some minced garlic (3 cloves) and some Herbs de Provence. And used extra-sharp cheddar and the half-and-half. We had this today with BLT Salad and will have the left-overs for breakfast. Thanks for posting, Jacquee! LOL Made for ZWT 6.