Recipe by echo echo
I adapted this from The Soup Bible cookbook. Below I show the original ingredients but when I make it I cut the amount of butter to about 2-3 Tbs and substitute light cream for heavy cream. If you don't have fresh thyme, simply add 1/4 tsp dried thyme to the soup.
- 2 lbs leeks, trimmed,coarse outer leaves removed,rinsed,cut into about 1 inch long pieces
- 1 lb potato, peeled and chopped into 1 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk (I use skim)
- salt, to taste
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in large saucepan.
- Add leeks and sprig of thyme, cover and cook 4-5 min until soft.
- Add potato and just enough cold water to cover vegetables.
- Cover and cook on low 30 minutes.
- Stir in milk and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer 30 min more; some of potato breaks up, leaving you with a thick semi-pureed effect.
- Remove sprig of thyme: the leaves will have fallen into the soup.
- Dish up 4 servings into soup bowls; just before serving stir 1 Tbs cream into each bowl.