Recipe by Mami J
Potatoes and leeks in a light tomato broth. Can be made vegetarian by using vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
Top Review by Karen Elizabeth
A lovely soup, which my husband prepared earlier in the day, and re-heated when we came home in the evening. It was a little spicier than we expected, that's when we discovered that he had used a tin of tomato sauce with added chilli, fortunately, we felt that this only added to the dish! Served with crusty bread, this was a warming and delicious supper, we enjoyed it very much! Thank you, Mami Janine! Made for ZWT5
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 yellow potatoes, cut into sticks (like French fries)
- 1 cup leek, sliced (about 1)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 5 cups chicken broth
- salt and pepper
- queso fresco, grated, to garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the potatoes and cook for 5 minutes, stirring to avoid any browning.
- Add the leek and stir to combine. Cook until leek looks translucent.
- Add the tomato sauce and stir to combine. Bring to a boil and add the chicken stock. Bring to a boil and reduce heat.
- Cook until potatoes are tender, but not falling apart, about 20 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot, garnishing with the grated cheese.