Recipe by smellyvegetarian
Found this in an article about Jamie Oliver in the Jan/Feb 2010 Cooking Light, and I'm posting for safekeeping! Make this vegan by subbing in veggie broth!
Top Review by LifeIsGood
I enjoyed this soup and appreciated that it was healthy. Not your typical cream leek potato soup, but it was nice and thick after blending. The flavor was very good. I may omit the carrot next time, just to keep it more potato/leek oriented. Thanks for posting. Made for ZWT8 Family Picks
- 2 leeks (about 1 lb)
- 6 cups fat-free chicken broth (or veggie broth)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups onions, chopped (about 1 lb)
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled and cubed (Yukon Gold recommended)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove roots, outer leaves, and tops from leeks. Cut each in half lengthwise, then crosswise into 1/2" slices. Immerse in cold water; swirl. Drain.
- Bring broth to a boil in a large saucepan over medium high heat.
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven over medium high heat. Add leek, onion, celery, carrot, and garlic. Partially cover, and cook 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add hot broth and potato; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until potato is tender. Stir in pepper and salt.
- Serve chunky, or puree with an immersion blender.