Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A true family favourite, it's comfort food at its finest.
Make and share this Leek and Potato Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 3 medium leeks
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 onions, finely chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup dry white wine (optional, if not using, add 1 more cup of chicken broth) (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chives, finely cut
- Wash leeks very well and cut off the green leaves,leaving only a few inches of green tender leaves.
- Chop the leaves and reserve.
- Cut the white part of the leeks into 1/4-inch slices.
- Melt butter in a large pan, add the leeks and onions and cook for about five minutes. Add the leek leaves and cook for an additional three minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, potato cubes and wine and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer on low heat for about one hour.
- Put soup in a blender, a few cups at a time, and puree.
- Once each batch has been pureed, pour it from the blender back into the pan.
- Simmer over moderate heat and then add the salt and pepper and Half and Half.
- Sprinkle with parsley and chives and serve.
I modified this soup and the result was terrific. 3 leeks, 4 tbl butter, 1 1/2 onion, 3 C chicken broth, 1 C chardonnay wine, 1 lb potato, 1 C skim milk, 1 - 1 1/2 tsp tarragon -- prepare per directions. I used my immersion blender in the pan and then added the parsley near the end. My guests loved the soup and I will definitely make this again - in these proportions. Really excellent -- good enough for a fancy dinner party!
This is pretty good, I followed the directions exactly and used the wine option. this was enjoyable but I don't think I have found the best recipe out there yet....
We enjoyed this soup although next time I would add more potatoes to thicken it up a little. It's definitely worth using fresh parsley as the flavour stands out- thanks for a nice winter soup!