Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is traditional soup of France. I got the recipe from cook book "The Food of the World". It seems easy and yummy!
- 50 g butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 leeks, white part only sliced
- 1 celery, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 200 g potatoes, chopped
- 750 ml chicken stock
- 220 ml single cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan and add the onion, leek, celery and garlic.
- Cover the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, over low heat for 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are softened but not browned.
- Add the potato and stock and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and leave to simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool a little before pureeing in a blender or food processor.
- Return to the clean saucepan.
- Bring the soup gently back to the boil and stir in the cream.
- Season with salt and white pepper and reheat without boiling.
- Serve hot (this is French style) or well chilled, (this is Vichyssoise style) garnish with chives.