Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe appeared in one of our local newspapers. However, I made some modifications and find this is an excellent cold weather soup. This is a very easy and quick soup to make.
- 4 medium size leeks
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups chicken broth or 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 small yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed small
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen baby peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons chopped of fresh mint or 1 tablespoon dried mint
- 2 teaspoons dried dill weed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 6 tablespoons sour cream or 6 tablespoons yogurt
- Cut off the upper green part of the leeks and discard. You may use the very light green part of the leek. Leeks should be about 1 1/4" diameter.
- Cut the leeks in half lengthwise, then cut again lenghtwise. Now cut into chunks and rinse in cold water, drain well.
- In a medium size heavy bottom cooking pot, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add chopped leeks and cook for 5 minutes or until slightly softened, stirring often.
- Add broth, water, chicken bouillon cubes, cubed potatoes, peas, chopped mint, dill weed, salt and pepper and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Puree with immersion blender or process in a food processor and return to cooking pot and reheat.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- When serving, swirl in 1 tablespoon of sour cream or yogurt to each bowl.