1/2 Photos of Leek and Petite Pea Soup
William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin's Note:
This recipe appeared in one of our local newspapers. However, I made some modifications and find this is an excellent cold weather soup. This is a very easy and quick soup to make.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 medium size leeks
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups chicken broth or 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 small yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed small
- 1 1/2 cups frozen baby peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint or 1 tablespoon dried mint
- 2 teaspoons dried dill weed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 6 tablespoons sour cream or 6 tablespoons yogurt
- 1Cut off the upper green part of the leeks and discard. You may use the very light green part of the leek. Leeks should be about 1 1/4" diameter.
- 2Cut the leeks in half lengthwise, then cut again lenghtwise. Now cut into chunks and rinse in cold water, drain well.
- 3In a medium size heavy bottom cooking pot, melt butter over medium heat.
- 4Add chopped leeks and cook for 5 minutes or until slightly softened, stirring often.
- 5Add broth, water, chicken bouillon cubes, cubed potatoes, peas, chopped mint, dill weed, salt and pepper and bring to boil.
- 6Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 7Puree with immersion blender or process in a food processor and return to cooking pot and reheat.
- 8Adjust seasonings to taste.
- 9When serving, swirl in 1 tablespoon of sour cream or yogurt to each bowl.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Leek and Petite Pea Soup
Serving Size: 1 (484 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 344.4
- Calories from Fat 160
- Total Fat 17.8 g
- Saturated Fat 10.2 g
- Cholesterol 38.9 mg
- Sodium 2208.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 11.8 g