Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
For a quick and tasty snack try this tasty version of a traditional British bread and cheese dish.
Make and share this Leek and Pear English Rarebit recipe from Food.com.
- Lightly toast the bread on both sides.
- Melt the butter in a small pan. Add the leek and cook gently, stirring now and then, for 5 minutes.
- Add the pear and sage and cook for 1 minute. Set aside.
- In another saucepan, put the cheese, egg yolk, mustard and stout. Stir over a gentle heat until the cheese melts and forms a creamy mixture. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Divide the leek and pear mixture on top of the toast and then pour over the cheese sauce.
- Broil under a hot broiler until bubbling and brown. Serve at once.
I love rarebit but not many people I know know much about it. This was an unusual combination of flavors and I made it because it used up some stuff I had (leeks, pears) that were on their last legs. My DH said he could do without the sage, but I liked it. I cut back on the cheese and used a tablespoon of stone ground mustard instead of powder - but the sauce was great. Thanks for a great recipe - I'll make it again - would be a fun first course for a traditional English meal (like Beef Wellington or some such).