Recipe by Julie B's Hive
Low in salt, low in fat, low in everything but taste.
Top Review by *Parsley*
The leeks and the lemon juice combine very well together to give this soup a nice, delicate flavor. It's a nice change from the usual soups. I used fat free sour cream, so this entire soup was light on fat and calories. This would be a great light first-course soup for a dinner party. Thanx for posting!
- 3 lbs leeks
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- thin lemon slice
- sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim ends and all but 3 inches of green tops from leeks; remove tough outer leaves.
- Split leeks lengthwise; rinse well, then thinly slice crosswise.
- Melt butter in a 5-6 quart pan over medium-high heat.
- Add leeks; cook, stirring often, until soft (8-10 minutes).
- Stir in flour and white pepper; then stir in broth.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring, add onions; cook, stirring, just until onions turn bright green (2 minutes).
- Stir in lemon juice and season to taste with salt.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls.
- Garnish each serving with lemon slices and a dollop of sour cream.
- Makes 6 servings.