Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
My parents were world travelers and picked up this recipe in Scotland. It is one of my father's favorite recipes. Flan is kinda like a quiche. It initially called for a traditional shortbread pastry but I use pre-made pie crusts with the same result.
- 1 pie crust (1/2 package)
- 2 large leeks, washed and sliced thin
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3 large eggs
- 3 ounces milk
- 3 ounces sour cream
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- Ste oven to 400 degrees (Mark6).
- Line a 9 inch pie pan (or flan tin) with pie crust.
- Saute leeks until soft, season with black pepper and cool.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk and sour cream. Add salt and then half the cheese and leeks to this mixture.
- Pour into pie pan and sprinkle with rest of cheese. Grate nutmeg over, place on a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes until brown.
such a great comforting and yummy flan. Made it for dinner and it was so easy to put together. used low fat milk, sour cream and cheeses.
This is one of those "Ohmigawd it's good" delights. I made it precisely as ordered...well, more than a pinch of freshly ground nutmeg, but that only added. This is indeed wonderful! I am so glad you posted it. Thank you.