Recipe by evelyn/athens
Leeks are a wonderful vegetable - the stand out in this delicious tart.
Top Review by Geema
I am hooked on leeks and hooked on this recipe. No bacon or sausage in this dish... the sweet taste of soft, braised leeks paired with creamy cheese stands alone to create a simplely delicious tart. The leeks do need plenty of time to soften in the butter, so I recommend slicing them very thin. I didn't have any whipping cream, just some half and half, which turned out fine with us. Mace is a spice I have never used, so I hoped a sprinkling of nutmeg would be a good substitute. All in all a creamy, delicate and delicious recipe.
- 1 9 inch pie shell, unbaked
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 6 medium leeks, trimmed and thinly sliced (white and light green parts only)
- 2 cups grated mild white cheddar cheese
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground mace
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Bake pie shell until light brown, about 20 minutes.
- Let cool.
- Melt butter in medium skillet over low heat.
- Add leeks and saute until tender but not soft, about 15 minutes.
- Spread in pie crust.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup cheese.
- Whisk yolks, cream, salt, pepper and mace in medium bowl.
- Pour over leeks; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake until filling is set and golden-brown, about 40 minutes.
- Cool atleast 40 minutes before serving.