1/3 Photos of Leek and Chanterelle Tart
1 hr 30 mins
This recipe includes an easy salt-and-pepper crust. If you choose to use a frozen crust make sure it does not include sugar. You can also substitute button or crimini mushrooms for the chanterelles.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the crust
- 1 cup flour, plus more
- flour, for rolling out dough
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 7 tablespoons butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
For the filling
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 leeks, white and very light green parts halved, cleaned, and thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb chanterelle mushroom (cut into about 1-inch pieces)
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup grated gruyere cheese
- 1Make crust: In a medium bowl, mix flour, salt, and pepper. Rub butter into flour until most of it looks like cornmeal but some larger, pea-size pieces remain. Drizzle in 3 tablespoons ice-cold water while stirring quickly with a fork. Or, pulse flour, salt, pepper, and butter in a food processor until a coarse, cornmeal-textured mixture forms, then drizzle in ice water until dough comes together. Turn dough onto a large piece of plastic wrap and use wrap to press dough into a 1-in.-thick disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 30 minutes and up to 2 days.
- 2Preheat oven to 375. Lightly flour a work surface. Unwrap dough; with a rolling pin gently roll it, turning dough 90 degrees between each roll, into a 12 inch circle.
- 3Place rolled-out dough in a 9 1/2 inches tart pan. Trim edges flush with pan edges. Cover dough with a large piece of aluminum foil and weigh down with pie weights, dried beans, or uncooked rice.
- 4Bake crust 20 minutes. Lift foil and weights off crust and bake until beginning to turn golden, about 10 minutes. Let crust cool to room temperature.
- 5Meanwhile, make filling: Melt butter in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add leeks and salt and cook, stirring, until leeks are soft, about 3 minutes. Turn heat to high and add mushrooms. Cook, stirring constantly, until mushrooms have given off their liquid 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in thyme, cream, and pepper, then turn off heat and let cool to room temperature.
- 6Spread half of the grated cheese over tart crust. Spread leek-mushroom mixture on top and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake until cheese is melted and golden, about 25 minutes. Let sit 10 minutes before cutting. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Leek and Chanterelle Tart
Serving Size: 1 (143 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 390.4
- Calories from Fat 255
- Total Fat 28.4 g
- Saturated Fat 17.3 g
- Cholesterol 80.9 mg
- Sodium 600.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 10.9 g