Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This soup is good even without any clams or other seafood. Hard to imagine how a little butter can turn crunchy and smelly vegetables into such delicious creamy soup. (I have substituted asparagus and spinach with other vegetables works good too. In the picture is the Spoon PakChoy i used once.)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups leeks, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs asparagus, diced
- 1 cup spinach, cut to 1/2 inch length
- 4 cups water or 4 cups stock
- 1⁄2-1 lb salt water clam
- parsley (to garnish) or red pepper, chopped (to garnish)
- cook leek in butter to soften, about 2 minutes (do not burn).
- add asparagus and water just to cover them, cook about 3 minutes to soften.
- add spinach, cook for about 1 minute to soften.
- add water or stock (cold, if your stick blender is not all stainless steel) and puree.
- Heat up the soup and add the clams. (If you are afraid some of the clams may still have sand inside, cook the clams in a separate pot then put the good clams and clam juice into the soup.).
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladel into bowls, garnish and serve.