Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A great variation of vichyssoise, to be served hot or cold.
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 leeks, cleaned and sliced thin (about 2 cups)
- 2 large potatoes, cubed (about 2 cups)
- 1 onion, peeled and minced
- 2 zucchini, washed and sliced (about a cup or more)
- 1 quart vegetable broth (or 1 quart water and 2 double boullion cubes knorr)
- sea salt
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1⁄4 cup almonds, blanched and peeled
- Heat oil in a soup pot, and sautee garlic until golden, but not burned.
- Add vegetables and continue to toss with the oil and cook for about 5 minutes over medium high heat.
- Add broth (or water and boullion), sea salt and pepper to taste, and almonds.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes, or until vegetables are very tender.
- Remove from heat, add evaporated milk and puree using an immersion blender, or in batches in the blender.
- Serve hot or cold, garnished with chopped almonds, chopped parsley or croutons.