Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
Hungarian tomato and pepper dish. There is a whole variety of ways you can use the basic Lecso recipe, and it can be vegetarian or made with meat. It is great comfort food!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 kg tomatoes
- 2 bell peppers
- 3 -4 banana peppers
- 3 large onions, sliced in 1/4-inch rounds
- 3⁄4 kg sausage (any kind will work)
- 200 g thick slab bacon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, to taste
- Sauté onions in olive oil. Add paprika and then add the rest of the ingredients.
- Slice tomatoes and peppers into cubes and when onions are translucent add them to the pan. Let cook on low heat for about 1/2 hour; add salt and pepper to taste.
- That is the basic recipe -- my mother always canned several jars and then used it with eggs scrambled in the sauce, or added potatoes or Nokedli Hungarian homemade noodles). You can also add Kolbaz or any kind of sausage or bacon you like.
You forgot the paprika!!! You can't have lecso without paprika! Add it to the sauteed onions with tomatoes and peppers.