Spices and candied fruit are in these chewy cookie squares. From an article in Family Circle Magazine 12/11/1979 about delicious Christmas cookies made at the White House by their German chef. (My clipping is falling apart!)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 118.29 ml honey
- 78.07 ml sugar
- 591.47 ml flour, unsifted all-purpose
- 19.71 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 0.25 ml nutmeg
- 0.25 ml clove
- 158.51 ml almonds, sliced
- 44.37 ml orange peel, candied, finely chopped
- 44.37 ml lemon peel, candied, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 29.58 ml kirsch (or orange juice)
- candied red cherries, halved
- angelica (or candied citron peel cut in leaf shapes-optional)
- 1Combine honey and sugar in a small saucepan. Heat slowly, stirring constantly, until honey thins and sugar dissolves; cool slightly.
- 2Sift flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves into a large bowl.
- 3Add almonds, candied orange and lemon peels; mix to coat.
- 4Add cooled honey mixture, egg and kirsch to flour mixture; stir with wooden spoon until blended.
- 5Knead dough together with palm of hand until mixture cleans side of bowl; shape into ball; flatten slightly.
- 6Roll dough between two sheets of wax paper to a 13x9 inch rectangle, slightly less than 1/4 inch thich, keeping edges as even as possible.
- 7Remove top piece of wax paper; flip dough onto lightly greased cookie sheet; remove second piece of wax paper.
- 8Brush top lightly with milk.
- 9Bake in a moderate over (375 degrees F) for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- 10Remove cookie sheet to wire rack.
- 11Trim edges of cookie dough; cut into 2-inch squares.
- 12Make GLAZE: Combine 1/2 cup granulated sugar and 3 Tbsp water in saucepan. Cook about 5 minutes or until it registers 235 degrees F on candy thermometer.
- 13Brush Glaze quickly over warm Leckerli. (Do not make glaze until Leckerli are out of the oven or it will harden.)
- 14Decorate with candied red cherry halves and angelica leaves. (Glaze will harden and turn white.).
You Might Also Like...View All Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Leckerli
Serving Size: 1 (748 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 107.1
- Calories from Fat 20
- Total Fat 2.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 7.7 mg
- Sodium 77.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 2.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: