Recipe by pj40
Make your own Non-Stick cooking spray. I found this many years ago in a great cookbook. MAKE YOUR OWN CONVENIENCE FOODS by Don & Joan German. What I love about it is, "No propellents, no chemicals, no waste. And it lasts a long time.
Top Review by smartgreene
Horrible, disgusting and every other adjective to describe how terrible this recipe is. Purchased Soy lecithin from Amazon specifically for this recipe because I did not want to use Butane fueled non-stick coating for my family. First try, I sprayed my Visions glass cookware, and attempted to cook an over-easy egg. The coating left an unappetizing brown gunk on the white of the egg and the egg stuck horribly. Second try, I wiped the solution. with a paper towel and again the egg stuck and the disgusting brown on the white of the egg. Not very appetizing. Waste of money on the purchase of the lecithin. Lesson learned. BTW- any suggestions anyone?
- 1 cup unflavored vodka (any brand)
- 4 teaspoons liquid lecithin
Directions See How It's Made
- We've all seen PAM and other sprays for Non stick cooking.
- Now you can make your own at a fraction of the cost and no additives at all. Just pure liquid Lecithin which is a derivitive of Soy Beans.
- You can buy Liquid Lecithin in most health food stores.
- Pour Vodka into a jar with a screw on lid. Add the lecithin and shake to dissolve. That's it!
- If the idea of Vodka bothers you, you can use vegetable oil, corn oil or canola oil. But the oils will not dissolve the lecithin completely.
- As your pan heats the alcohol will evaporate leaving nothing but a thin coating of lecithin. NOTHING sticks! And it's easy to wash up.
- You can apply this with a basting brush, or a small spray bottle. I find a square of clean paper towel works best.
- Use only as much as needed to cover the bottom of a pan. A little goes a long way. No refrigeration required.
- Personally, I LOVE IT.