A super quick and easy comfort food when I'm feeling homesick ... I thought it'll be worth posting as there seems to be no recipe on Lechon Kawali posted yet.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs pork liempo (pork belly)
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 laurel leaves (bay leaves)
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns or 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- water, for boiling
- oil (for frying)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 5 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 shallots or 1 small onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- chili pepper (optional)
- Cut the pork belly into serving pieces then combine with the garlic, peppercorn,laurel leaves, salt and water in a pan.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 35-45 minutes or until skin is tender.
- Drain, cool and air dry.
- Deep-fry liempo pieces in batches until golden brown and blisters appear on skin.
- Mix all the sauce ingredients.
This is what I would do when making roast pork - boiling ensures that the meat is cooked through. The only difference in my method is that I prefer to roast the meat in an oven at the highest temperature to get that crispy crackling (yum!) instead of deep frying which causes splatters. It's healthier that way.
It was good! I tried it and it was so delicious! especially the sauce.. i liked it. thanks!
Thanks for posting this recipe. Its really really good!