1/1 Photo of Leche Flan - Custard With Caramel
1 hr 30 mins
Creamy custard with caramel syrup. complete step by step instructions. ive looked in the internet and most recipes are with vague directions. - this recipe is purely experimental and not the standard custard recipe. but everyone at home loved it so i thought id share it with u guys... =) -lemon juice may be substituted with vanilla extract (1 tspn) or almond extract. - 2-4 egg yolks may be added to be more creamy. - i didnt put any pan size or moulds. all depending on your preference. but i like using loaf pans, muffin pans and 9inch rounds.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 eggs
- 1 (14 ounce) can condensed milk
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1Custard: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare your pans/moulds.
- 2Beat the eggs with an electric mixer. Set aside until the big bubbles or most of the bubbles disappear.
- 3Add all the other custard ingredients. Stir gently with a whisk by hand in a single direction until sugar is dissolved. (It is imperative to not have bubbles or the custard will cook with a cakey texture.).
- 4Strain the mixture in a mesh strainer onto another bowl to get the lumpy egg whites. (to have a smooth and creamy texture) Set aside.
- 5Custard: Melt sugar in an iron pan over high heat. When most of the sugar is burnt (dark golden brown in color) add 1 cup of water. Keep stirring until all of the sugar is dissolve. By this time sugar will be slightly bitter and have a brittle consistency. Add 1/2 cup water and simmer for about 1 minute.
- 6Immediately pour the custard into the pans, dividing evenly. Pour the custard mixture over the caramel. (about 1 inch thick max or the center wont cook evenly with the sides.) Cover with aluminum foil.
- 7Place the mould in a large cookie sheet with about an inch of water. Bake for 45 - 60 minutes depending on your pan size. (add about a 1/2 - 1 cup of water every 20 minutes) Insert a toothpick to check if the custard is cooked. If the toothpick comes out clean, it is cooked. (or when center is firm, i prefer the toothpick method).
- 8Cool and then chill before serving. Run a knife around the mould to let the custard loose and flip over a dish to serve.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Leche Flan - Custard With Caramel
Serving Size: 1 (65 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 30
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 125.3
- Calories from Fat 34
- Total Fat 3.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 78.9 mg
- Sodium 54.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 17.7 g
- Protein 4.0 g