Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Creamy custard with caramel syrup. complete step by step instructions. ive looked in the internet and most recipes are with vague directions. - this recipe is purely experimental and not the standard custard recipe. but everyone at home loved it so i thought id share it with u guys... =) -lemon juice may be substituted with vanilla extract (1 tspn) or almond extract. - 2-4 egg yolks may be added to be more creamy. - i didnt put any pan size or moulds. all depending on your preference. but i like using loaf pans, muffin pans and 9inch rounds.
- Custard: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare your pans/moulds.
- Beat the eggs with an electric mixer. Set aside until the big bubbles or most of the bubbles disappear.
- Add all the other custard ingredients. Stir gently with a whisk by hand in a single direction until sugar is dissolved. (It is imperative to not have bubbles or the custard will cook with a cakey texture.).
- Strain the mixture in a mesh strainer onto another bowl to get the lumpy egg whites. (to have a smooth and creamy texture) Set aside.
- Custard: Melt sugar in an iron pan over high heat. When most of the sugar is burnt (dark golden brown in color) add 1 cup of water. Keep stirring until all of the sugar is dissolve. By this time sugar will be slightly bitter and have a brittle consistency. Add 1/2 cup water and simmer for about 1 minute.
- Immediately pour the custard into the pans, dividing evenly. Pour the custard mixture over the caramel. (about 1 inch thick max or the center wont cook evenly with the sides.) Cover with aluminum foil.
- Place the mould in a large cookie sheet with about an inch of water. Bake for 45 - 60 minutes depending on your pan size. (add about a 1/2 - 1 cup of water every 20 minutes) Insert a toothpick to check if the custard is cooked. If the toothpick comes out clean, it is cooked. (or when center is firm, i prefer the toothpick method).
- Cool and then chill before serving. Run a knife around the mould to let the custard loose and flip over a dish to serve.