My Private Note
dozen b ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice, Ground
- 1/4 teaspoon clove, Ground
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 cups flour, Unbleached, Unsifted
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup almonds, Ground
- 1 teaspoon lemon, rind of, Grated
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1Stir together the spices, salt flour, and baking powder.
- 2Stir in the almonds and lemon rind.
- 3In a separate bowl beat the eggs and sugar until a ribbon is formed when the beater is removed.
- 4Stir in the honey and milk.
- 5Gradually stir in the flour mixture; beat until smooth.
- 6Spread the batter in an 11 X 17-inch jelly roll pan that is well greased and floured.
- 7Bake at 400 degrees F for 12 to 15 minutes, until the cake is done.
- 8While the cake is still warm, turn it out onto a wire rack.
- 9To make the almond glaze, mix the confectioners' sugar, almond extract, rum, and 1 to 2 T of water.
- 10Beat until glaze is smooth and of the right consistency.
- 11Add more water to thin if neccessary.
- 12Spread the warm cake with the almond glaze.
- 13Cut cake into 1 X 2 1/2-inch bars while still warm.
- 14Spice bars keep 6 to 8 weeks in a sealed container if not glazed.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lebkuchen (Spice Bars)
Serving Size: 1 (94 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 292.3
- Calories from Fat 39
- Total Fat 4.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 32.4 mg
- Sodium 150.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 40.0 g
- Protein 5.1 g