Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Prep time does not include 8 hours chilling time.
- 1 cup honey
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon, rind of, grated
- 2 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄3 cup citron, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup almonds
- Heat honey until it bubbles and cool.
- Stir in sugar, egg, juice and rind.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- Add spices and flour. Stir.
- Add citron and nuts.
- Dough will be soft. Cover bowl and refrigerate at least 8 hours (Up to one week).
- Shape into 1-inch balls with floured hands.
- Flatten with 1/2 of an almond.
- Bake 1 inch apart on greased cookie sheet, 12-15 minutes at 375°F until lightly browned.
- Glaze while warm.
- Glaze: 1 cup sifted powder sugar 5 Tbsp rum or water stirred until smooth.
- Store in air tight container and let mellow.