1/4 Photos of Lebanese Vegetable Soup
Quick to make soup with a spicy kick. Another Moosewood recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large Spanish onion, chopped (About 2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups chopped potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 4 -5 cups vegetable stock (see notes in recipe)
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 10 artichoke hearts, cut into eighths (2 14-oz cans)
- 3/4 cup canned chickpeas
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 lemons, cut into wedges
- 1Stock: use a combination of vegetable stock, the chick pea liquid and the artichoke heart brine.
- 2In a large soup pot, saute the onion in the olive oil for about 5 minutes.
- 3Stir in the carrots. Cover.
- 4Stir again after 3 minutes. Add the ground red pepper, coriander, and garlic. Cover and cook for a few more minutes.
- 5Add the potatoes, salt and 2 cups of the stock.
- 6Cover the pot and bring the soup to a boil.
- 7Reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are nearly tender. Be careful not to overcook them.
- 8Gently stir in the tomatoes, artichoke hearts, and the chick peas. Salt to taste.
- 9Cover and simmer for 3 or 4 minutes, just to heat the tomatoes.
- 10Add the remaining 2-3 cups of stock or even more if you prefer more broth. Heat gently.
- 11It is important not to overcook or boil the soup. The potatoes, tomatoes and artichokes should be heated just enough to blend the flavors or they might disintegrate.
- 12Sprinkle each serving with fresh parsley and garnish with a wedge of fresh lemon.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lebanese Vegetable Soup
Serving Size: 1 (326 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 191.4
- Calories from Fat 38
- Total Fat 4.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 884.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.9 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 8.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: