I've recently discovered tahini and absolutely love it! In this healther adaptation of tuna salad, tahini replaces mayonnaise as the emulsifier and adds unique flavor along with the Middle Eastern spices. I like to add apples to my tuna salad for a contrasting sweet, tart flavor.
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1⁄3 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 lemon, juice of, about 3 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2-2 teaspoons cumin
- salt and pepper
- 3 (6 1/2 ounce) cans tuna in water, drained and flaked
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 3 tablespoons green olives, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup apple, chopped (optional)
- In a food processor blend together the tahini, yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, parsley, and spices.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a bowl toss the tuna, onion, celery, and apples lightly with the dressing to coat.
- Serve in a whole wheat pita with tomatoes, cucumber, and lettuce.
This was really good! I loved the combination of flavors. I didn't use the capers or apples. We're trying to cut carbs, so instead of using a pita bread, we just made kind of a lettuce wrap with it. I used two 6.4 oz pkgs of the foil pkg tuna, there's no draining that way. Thanks for posting.
This was intresting and creative and healthy. I love Tahina and the chili powder was a intresting twist. I really liked the tuna with the capers and green olives and apples and could it the tuna that way w/o the tahina dressing. Thanks. Made for Football Pool 09