Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
I've recently discovered tahini and absolutely love it! In this healther adaptation of tuna salad, tahini replaces mayonnaise as the emulsifier and adds unique flavor along with the Middle Eastern spices. I like to add apples to my tuna salad for a contrasting sweet, tart flavor.
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1⁄3 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 lemon, juice of, about 3 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2-2 teaspoons cumin
- salt and pepper
- 3 (6 1/2 ounce) cans tuna in water, drained and flaked
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 3 tablespoons green olives, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup apple, chopped (optional)
- In a food processor blend together the tahini, yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, parsley, and spices.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a bowl toss the tuna, onion, celery, and apples lightly with the dressing to coat.
- Serve in a whole wheat pita with tomatoes, cucumber, and lettuce.
This was really good! I loved the combination of flavors. I didn't use the capers or apples. We're trying to cut carbs, so instead of using a pita bread, we just made kind of a lettuce wrap with it. I used two 6.4 oz pkgs of the foil pkg tuna, there's no draining that way. Thanks for posting.
This was intresting and creative and healthy. I love Tahina and the chili powder was a intresting twist. I really liked the tuna with the capers and green olives and apples and could it the tuna that way w/o the tahina dressing. Thanks. Made for Football Pool 09