Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Maria Luisa Scott and Jack Denton Scotts have traveled extensively and collected recipes from around the world. This is from "A World of Pasta". Posted for ZWT3 Middle Eastern.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 4 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped or 1 lb canned tomato, finely chopped
- 2 cups hot water
- 3 cups hot beef broth
- 2 cups escarole, shredded and packed into cup
- 3⁄4 cup semi de melone, melon seed pasta (or other small pasta of your choice)
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1 tablespoon of fresh mint, minced or 1 teaspoon dried mint
- Heat the butter and oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic, season lightly with salt and pepper and saute until soft.
- Stir in the tomatoes and simmer 5 minutes, mashing them with a wooden spoon.
- Add the water, broth and escarole, simmer 20 minutes.
- Stir in the pasta and cook 5 minutes or until it is al dente.
- Stir in the lemon juice and mint leaves, simmer for 1 minute.
- Taste for seasoning.