Prep 3 hrs
Cook 30 mins
Enjoy a Middle Eastern snack with this recipe for a tasty flat bread, flavoured with thyme and sesame seeds.
- 1 tablespoon dried yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1⁄3 cups warm water
- 1 1⁄8 lbs plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- In a small bowl, mix together the yeast sugar and 2-3 tablespoons of the warm water and set aside.
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add in the salt. Make a well in the centre of the flour and pour in the yeast mixture and the remaining warm water.
- Knead together until the mixture forms a stiff dough.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for 10-15 minutes, adding in a tablespoon of olive oil to the dough to soften it.
- Wash and dry the mixing bowl and rub with a little of the olive oil. Return the dough to the ball and roll it around the bowl until well oiled. Cover with a clean cloth and set aside in a warm place to rise for 2 hours.
- Knead the dough again, then divide it into 10 portions.
- Roll each dough portion between your palms until smooth and round.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out each portion into a circle. Cover the dough circles and set aside for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F Place 2 large baking sheets in the oven to heat up.
- Brush the tops of each dough circle with a little of the olive oil. Mix the remaining olive oil with the thyme, marjoram and sesame seeds and spread the mixture evenly over the surface of each dough circle.
- Slide the dough circles onto the hot baking sheets and bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove and cool. Serve.