Recipe by Mrs B
This recipe comes from Leah Leneman’s book “Easy Vegan Cooking”. I haven’t made this yet, but unlike other green bean dishes I’ve tried, this one includes potatoes. It also has a good quantity of cumin, which is one of my favourite spices. Leah suggests this is served a main dish, with crusty wholewheat bread or pitta bread; and that is how I will be serving it. Recipe posted for the Zaar World Tour 2005
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 lb potato, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 3⁄4 lb green beans, topped and tailed (long beans cut in half)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, fry the onion in the oil for 2 – 3 minutes then add the potatoes and continue cooking for another 3 – 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the beans, sprinkle over the cumin and cayenne and mix well together.
- Whizz the tomatoes in a blender, then add the liquidized tomatoes to the pan; stir the contents, bring to the boil, cover and leave to simmer over a medium-low heat for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When the beans and potato are tender and tomatoes have reduced to a thick sauce, test for seasoning, adding salt and pepper as required; serve immediately.