Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Posted for ZWT6. Serve with a green salad to complete your meal.
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, fresh
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 lb ground chicken
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 1⁄2 cup zucchini, cut in 1/4 inch dice (yellow squash would work as well)
- 1 cup fresh fava beans, blanched and peeled
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock, hot
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro leaf
- On a cutting board, mash the garlic and 1/2 teaspoon salt together with the side of a knife until a paste forms. Place in a small bowl with the lemon juice and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan, then add the onions and sauté until they soften.
- Add the ground chicken and cook on high, breaking up the meat, until the juices start to run out. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and the allspice.
- Add the rice, squash, beans, and hot stock. Lower the heat, cover, and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat.
- Remove the cover and add the garlic and lemon mixture, stirring to combine.
- Cover and let rest for another 5 minutes.
- Place the rice in a serving dish, sprinkle with the cilantro, and serve immediately.
This was really good! It was pretty easy to throw together. I used ground turkey instead of chicken. Next time I might use more zucchini and bigger pieces of it, as it seemed to disappear in the final dish. I think this would lend itself well to other veggies also, or some different type of bean if you couldn't find fava beans (I had a hard time finding them for some reason). Thank you!