Prep 1 hr
Cook 25 mins
A recipe from my mother-in-law who is an excellent cook! Of this recipe she says, "A dollop of plain *real* yogurt on top of each serving is relished by the Lebanese."
- 1⁄2 cup rice, uncooked
- 4 ounces tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 dash cinnamon
- 1 cup lean ground beef or 1 cup ground lamb
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 dash black pepper
- 6 baby zucchini, par boiled and center scooped out
- 3 potatoes, peeled, halved and center scooped out
- 1 head cabbage, leaves taken off whole and blanched
- 1 beef bone
- 1 lb tomatoes
- 1⁄2 pint water
- In a bowl combine the rice, tomato sauce, allspice, cinnamon, ground meat, salt and pepper.
- Stuff the zucchini and potatoes with the meat mixture.
- Roll remainder of meat mixture in the blanched cabbage leaves (cigarette style); about 1 - 2 T each.
- In a large pot put 1/2 of the rolled cabbage leaves flat on the bottom.
- Place beef bone on top of cabbage.
- Next, layer the zucchini, then potatoes, then the remainder of the cabbage rolls.
- Top with tomatoes and water.
- Cook, covered, over medium heat for about 25 minutes.
This is a really unique and delicious recipe! I sliced the potatoes width wise and then hollowed out the potatoes, so they stood up nicely in the pot. I'll make it again, but I think that I will add some onion, garlic and parsely to the meat mixture. Just to give it a bit more 'bite'. But still...impressive presentation and a TERRIFIC alternative when you want a 'stewey' dish. Thanks so much 4Susan! Keep the Lebanese recipes coming!