Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
From Cooking Light. I love the flavors of allspice and cinnamon with savory dishes. This sounds so delicious.
- 4 medium red bell peppers
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1⁄2 cup low sodium beef broth, divided
- 1 cup cooked long-grain rice, cooled (or brown rice if preferred)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 lb ground sirloin
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped (divided)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes (canned)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 4 lemon wedges
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut tops off bell peppers; reserve. Discard seeds. Place peppers in a microwave-safe dish; cover with damp paper towels. Microwave at HIGH for 6 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Combine 1/2 teaspoons black pepper, 1/4 cup broth, and next 5 ingredients. Divide beef mixture among peppers; top with tops. Pour 2 cups water into dish; cover and bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes. Sprinkle peppers with 1/4 cup parsley.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan. Add onions; saute for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; saute for 30 seconds. Add 1/2 teaspoons black pepper, 1/4 cup broth, tomatoes and the next 4 ingredients (water-red pepper); bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 30 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup parsley and yogurt. Serve with lemons.
Delicious ! Imade the recipe as directed. We loved the spices in the peppers.