Cassie T's Note:
I got this recipe from my mother in law, who got it from her mother in law from Lebanon. I just love it, it's best if you eat it the traditional way. Tear off a piece of pita bread, and use it to grab the stew and rice! You may also exchange beef for chicken or shrimp.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups white rice (I recommend Uncle Ben's Original Converted)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lbs beef, cut into bite size peices
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1 large onion, minced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 (16 ounce) cans vegetables (I use carrots, corn, and green beans)
- 3 potatoes, cut into bite size peices
- 1 (46 ounce) can tomato juice
- 2 loaves pita bread
- 1In large bowl, rinse rice with cool water until starch is gone and water turns out clear.
- 2Repeat process with warm water.
- 3Drain completely, and add just enough HOT water to cover the rice.
- 4Set rice aside.
- 5In skillet, heat oil on high.
- 6Add beef and cook until browned.
- 7Add cinnamon and onion, saute until onions become brown and transparent.
- 8Add tomato and garlic, continue heating until garlic begins to cook.
- 9Transfer to large pot and add canned vegetables, potato, and tomato sauce.
- 10Cover and simmer on medium-low 45 minutes to an hour, or until potato is soft and beef is tender and cooked through.
- 11Reduce heat to low, set aside,.
- 12In large sauce pan, combine rice, water, oil and salt.
- 13Cook on medium for about 10 minutes, or until tender.
- 14Serve stew over bed of rice, enjoy with pita bread.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lebanese Stew With Rice
Serving Size: 1 (539 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 774.5
- Calories from Fat 158
- Total Fat 17.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 87.9 mg
- Sodium 1392.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 108.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.6 g
- Sugars 11.2 g
- Protein 45.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: