Recipe by UmmBinat
Similar to the flavourful potatoes you can purchase in Lebanese restaurants throughout Ottawa, Canada. This goes really well with Shoarma Spice Mix marinated chicken breast, Lebanese Rice With Sharia (Vermicelli) (Gluten Free), and a garlic sauce like, Garlic Mayonnaise (Aioli) without the cilantro and a little Balkan yogurt to lighten it up, along with, Middle Eastern Lebanese Fattoush Bread Salad, for a meal like the restaurants only way better! Recipe modified from a recipe found on http://homemade-recipes.blogspot.com
Top Review by Chef Kate
These are superb potatoes. Despite being fried, they are not greasy or heavy. And the enjoyment began for me in the prep. While the little cubes of potatoes were browning, I was chopping onion and cilantro and the smell was so bright and clean. Then I ground coriander seeds in the mortar pestle--more of that very bright scent which was making my mouth water. Finally, when everything was saute-ing together and I added the squeeze of lime, I couldn't wait to taste the dish. Nothing overwhelms--it's just right--delicious on its own and I know it will be terrific as an accompaniment to something grilled. I did leave out the cayenne and went with some freshly cracked black pepper. I'm still licking my chops. LOL
- canola oil (for frying)
- 3 potatoes (peeled and cut into medium cubes)
- 2 tablespoons cooking onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 shake cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- sea salt, to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lime juice, freshly squeezed
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat canola oil and fry medium size cubed potatoes until crisp.
- Remove onto a paper towel lined plate.
- In another pan heat olive oil and add finely chopped onion, minced garlic, cayenne, ground coriander and finely chopped cilantro, saute then add the potatoes sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Mix well and add lime juice.
- Serve Immediately with garlic sauce such as recipe#108234 without the fresh cilantro added.