Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
It is a very tasty recipe, worth the time it takes. It is my mom's recipe so it has all the homemade taste. Wait for the roast to cool before cutting or it will crumble (better to keep it in the fridge overnight)
- 1 kg roast meat
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 potato
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 -2 laurel leaf
- 1 cup wine (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 kg potatoes (for the mashed potatoes)
- 500 ml milk
- 75 g butter
- 2 tablespoons flour (for the gravy)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Brown the meat on low heat with 1 Tbsp olive oil and 1 Tbsp butter. Add the garlic, the onion, the carrot and 1 potato head. Add the pepper, the nutmeg, a little salt (be careful with the salt you will have to add it to the mashed potatoes too) and the cinnamon.
- When brown add the wine, simmer for a bit then add water to cover the meat. Add the cinnamon stick and the laurel leaves.
- Let it cook on medium heat.
- When cooked remove it from its sauce and blend the sauce with the rest of the ingredients.
- Put back the mix on fire, add 2 Tbsp of flour and 2 Tbsp of butter. Reduce the sauce till it has a viscous consistency.
- Prepare the mashed potatoes: Boil the potatoes till cooked, then blend (with a little of the cooking water).
- Put back on fire with the butter and the milk, mix till they becomes homogeneous and bring to a boil. The mix must have the consistency of a cake's dough.
- When cold, cut the meat in thin round pieces (around 1cm at most).
- Serve with mashed potatoes covered with gravy.
- You prepare it by blending the meat sauce with the veggies and then reduce it on medium heat after adding 1 or 2 Tbsp flour.