Recipe by UmmBinat
This is similar to the rice served at our local shawarma restaurant without the gluten noodles. This is a rice that can be dolled up replacing the water with some kind of broth or stock, adding onion fried until transparent in butter after cooked or even adding a hand full of pine nuts lightly toasted in a dry frying pan all depending on what you are serving it with but the basic recipe is excellent with chicken cooked with Shoarma Spice Mix.
- 1 cup white rice
- 1⁄4 cup rice vermicelli (to be gluten free, find in the Asian, Chinese section)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- water, as needed
- sea salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse rice in a sieve gently until water runs clear, set aside.
- Put butter in a large pot and melt over medium heat.
- Add broken up rice vermicelli turn up heat to medium high and toast until medium brown watching as it starts to turn dark quickly.
- Add rice and cinnamon and toss to coat.
- Add the amount of water according to the normal way you cook rice and add sea salt to taste.
- Bring to a boil uncovered.
- Once boiling turn heat to almost low and cook until done.
- Fluff rice with a fork and serve.