Prep 5 mins
Cook 16 mins
This is similar to the rice served at our local shawarma restaurant without the gluten noodles. This is a rice that can be dolled up replacing the water with some kind of broth or stock, adding onion fried until transparent in butter after cooked or even adding a hand full of pine nuts lightly toasted in a dry frying pan all depending on what you are serving it with but the basic recipe is excellent with chicken cooked with Shoarma Spice Mix.
- Rinse rice in a sieve gently until water runs clear, set aside.
- Put butter in a large pot and melt over medium heat.
- Add broken up rice vermicelli turn up heat to medium high and toast until medium brown watching as it starts to turn dark quickly.
- Add rice and cinnamon and toss to coat.
- Add the amount of water according to the normal way you cook rice and add sea salt to taste.
- Bring to a boil uncovered.
- Once boiling turn heat to almost low and cook until done.
- Fluff rice with a fork and serve.
Great rice! This was easy to prepare and had a nice flavor. Thanks for sharing!
This was so good! Never had rice with vermicelli in it except in rice pudding. Something I'll for sure repeat!! Thanks for posting this delightful change from everyday rice! Made for Ramadan Tag 2010.