Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
These are a popular Lebanese dish. They are also vegetarian and gluten free. For gluten free ensure the stock used is labeled as GF or homemade. Can be served with natural yogurt if desired. These make a great gluten free lunch- no bread and packed full of protein.
- 1 cup red lentils or 1 cup brown lentils
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 medium onions, finely sliced
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 cup vegetable stock or 1 cup chicken stock
- iceburg lettuce cup
- 2 lemons, cut into wedges
- Using a medium saucepan, bring lentils and 4 cups of water to the boil on a high heat. Cover, reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a frying pan. Cook the onion for 5 minutes, until soft and golden.
- Add half of the onion to the lentils. Also add the rice and stock. Season with salt. Return to the boil and cook for another 20 minutes, until thick and creamy.
- With the remaining half of the onion -- continue to fry for another 10 minutes. It should be dark brown and caramelized.
- Add the caramelized onion to the lentils and cook another 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- To serve- spoon lentils into lettuce cups and serve with lemon wedges, pepper and yogurt if desired.
- For vegetarian do not use chicken stock.
Thanks Jubes for a great idea for use with my rice/lentil mixture. It turned out great.
Wordeful flavour! Very healthy, and easy! The caramelised onions added a special taste at the dish! I served it with lemon, pepper and yogurt which added a refreshing note! I use to make a similar dish, but I add the onion at the beginning of the cooking at the same pot. This is very different in taste with just a small change. Thanks for another keeper! Made it for ZWT3.
Very good and very healthy! I enjoyed this for lunch and this recipe easily makes 8 servings. I topped with Indian Cucumber Salad in place for the yogurt and used red lentils. Thanks.