Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Truly, a wonderful soup!
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, stems removed
- 12 cloves garlic
- olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 large onions, chopped fine
- 1 lb lentils, washed and drained
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 12 cups water
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen spinach
- 2 medium potatoes, cubed
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- Place cilantro in a food processor with garlic, 3 Tbsps olive oil, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Process until mixture forms a paste.
- Set aside.
- Sauté onions in 1/4 cup of olive oil until light brown.
- Add lentils and mix.
- Cook on medium heat for a few minutes.
- Add cinnamon and water.
- Turn heat to medium-high and cook, uncovered, for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Turn heat to medium, add remaining salt, spinach, potatoes and cilantro paste.
- and cook, uncovered, on low heat until lentils are creamy.
- Add lemon juice and continue cooking, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- (Total cooking time about 1 1/2 hours.) This soup can be served cold, warm or hot.
Prepare yourself... this soup is amazing. I also add carrots and tomato (both diced) to up the veggie content. Carrots go in with the potatoes and tomatoes go in at the very end (I throw them in about 5 min before serving... Plus I save a bit of fresh cilantro to throw in at the very end as well so it is green and fresh).
I sauted the onions for a long time until they are pretty much carmelized, and I do not use as much lemon juice as the recipe calls for, but I love this soup! I can't think of anything so healthy that tastes so good! I am a beginner, and this is my favorite. Thank you!!
I really enjoyed this soup. You must really love cilantro to like this! I loved the mix of flavors with the lentils, spincah, and potatoes. Lots of garlic, lots of cilantro. Thanks Miss Annie!